Privacy Notice: The GDPR and You
- What is the GDPR?
The EU is introducing a regulation called the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) to strengthen data protection for all within the European Union. GDPR is good news as it will make it easier for you to access your personal information and control how it is being used.
- Why does Orwell Healthcare collect and use my personal information in the first place?
- To process your enquiry about Orwell Healthcare.
- To assist when doing a Pre-Admission Assessment.
- To provide information to all healthcare staff involved in your care about your wishes and care plans.
- To provide information on areas for improvement of care within the organisation through audits so that we can provide you with the best service possible.
- To enable accurate billing and account processing.
- To meet our legal and regulatory obligations.
(You can access this through Reception).
- What are some of the key changes I will see?
The GDPR will give you greater control over your personal information by setting out additional and more clearly defined privacy rights, which you can exercise.
These rights include:
- The right to access personal information that an organisation holds about you.
- The right to have inaccuracies corrected.
- The right to have information erased.
- The right to object, including in relation to direct marketing.
- The right to restrict the data being processed: (i.e. have your personal information sent directly to yourself or another organisation).
- The right to restrict processing of your data in relation to automated decision making and profiling.
- The right to receive the personal information you provided to us in a portable format (subject to certain exemptions). You may also request us to provide it directly to a third party.
- Does Orwell Healthcare share my personal information?
We share information with third parties who perform important functions for us. For example, we use third parties to protect us against fraud, security or technical issues. Orwell Healthcare is required to cooperate by law or otherwise through a legal process, with Irish, EU regulatory law and enforcement bodies (such as HIQA, HSE).
- How secure and confidential is my personal data?
- For how long does Orwell Healthcare retain my personal data?
This depends on the nature of the information we hold and the purpose for which it is processed. Sometimes there are statutory obligations imposed on us by law. For example, we must retain resident records for 8 years after discharge.
- How is information stored?
- Where do I get more information?
Data Protection Officer:
Patricia Leonard, CFO
112 Orwell Road
Rathgar, Dublin 6
T: 01 4999 000 Ext 5005